It’s the technique the Oyster Chefs of RIFCOS use:
2. Crack the hinge
3. Cut top shell
4. Cut bottom shell
These steps are included in our class called "SLURP"!
Fold the towel in half and cover your non-dominant hand with the towel/Wear an RIFCOS Mesh Mitt on your non-dominant hand. Take an oyster and put it in your non-dominant hand on top of the towel/mesh mitt. Hold the oyster cup side down with the hinge pointing towards you.
1. “S”- STICK your knife into the hingeTake a look at the hinge and GENTLY insert the knife. Perhaps wiggle the knife left and right and let your knife lead the way until your knife gently sinks in a bit.
2. “L”- LOLLIPOP, then pop!After “S” you should have a lollipop. Test if your knife is in deep enough. Try holding the oyster up to see if the knife can hold the weight of it. If it does, now pop it open by turning the knife left AND right like turning a key in a lock. BOTH sides until the hinge POPS.
3. “U”- UPPER muscle cutThe Upper muscle is 2/3 up from the hinge and a little to the right. Hold the oyster with your hand wrapped around the oyster with your thumb on the top shell. Slide the knife gently into the oyster (with the point of the knife against the top shell) until you feel the muscle and then windshield wipe the knife to the right to cut the muscle. Take the top shell off with the thumb of your knife hand.
4. “R”- REMOVE the bottom muscleTurn your non-dominant hand towards your body (don’t move the oyster in your hand). Clean your knife then slide your knife under the oyster to cut the bottom muscle. Again, the muscle is 2/3 up from the hinge and a little to the right. You can actually see it. Practice this a few times, even after you ate the oyster already.
5. “P”- PUSH!Push the oyster gently from the hinge of the shell to check that there are no debris in it.
**Now SLURP that oyster and enjoy!**